10.1.2014

Mission is awesome. It's hard but awesome.

Transfer 1, week 3

This week started with a little miracle. 

On Monday evening we were on the tram coming home from FHE (family home evening) that was held at the senior couple's home. Soeur Kofoed was busy talking to someone and I was standing a few meters away and minding my own business even though I should've been contacting... Speaking French just really scares me sometimes!! There was this beautiful young girl standing opposite to me and I noticed her looking at my name tag but didn't think much of it because everyone looks at it. But she kept looking and at one point our eyes met so I said bonsoir and started talking this and that, all these things I could in French like complimenting her scarf and asking if she's a student. Then she started asking me about the name tag and church and what we do as missionaries but my French was awful so we started talking in English and the first things she says is: "I would like to learn more abour your church." I couldn't believe my ears!!!! We got off the tram at the same stop and talked to her for 10-15 mins and she was so awesome! She has a really strong faith in God and she's really passionate about it (in a good way) and she's studying medicine because she believes God sent us on this Earth to help each other and that's also why she appreciates so much what we do as missionaries because we devote our time to helping people. She was just so awesome, everything she said was so awesome and she was just so full of happiness and light! We gave her a Book of Mormon and we'll see her soon, she's super busy with her exams at the moment. It was such an amazing experience meeting her, a good reminder for me to not to be scared of talking to people, you never know who's prepared and ready hear the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.

This week was also a special week because of CHRISTMAS. We spent a very traditional Frech Christmas which means that we just ate ate and ate. I got to taste escargots (= snails) and they were surprisingly good! On Christmas day we ate at a member's house and I almost died. The foos just kept coming!!!! By the time we got to the dessert I was feeling super sick and my companion actually had to help me out with the dessert hehe, she was my fave person in the whole world that day, not even kidding. I decited then that eating is worse than contacting people in French. As long as I don't need to go and eat at a member's house I'll be happy. I'm still recovering from that meal. And the worse thing is the food is actually good but there's just too much of it!!!

We also got to Skype home on Christmas Day. It was awesome. My family is awesome. I feel so blessed to have a family that supports me in the things I do and is a great example of living the gospel. 

Oh and another funny food story! We ate again at a member's house on Boxing Day and got rabbit. Soeur Kofoed had to eat the rabbit's heart. That was fun.

Mission is awesome. It's hard but awesome. The hardest thing at the moment is the language, it's so hard not to be able to understand what people are saying to you. And also not being able t have any kind of real conversation. But I know it will come if I do my part and I also know that if I'm just brave and open my mouth I'm able to touch people's hearts even with the little French I have. It's the spirit that will do the most important talking anyway.

ALMA 37:37

Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.

- Soeur H